Here's how you can help tell the truth about farmers
Our job is simple:
To expose the truth about the vicious, false and illegally funded attack on farming called "What's Upstream."
The simple facts:
- the campaign claimed that farmers are unregulated, they are devastating our water, that salmon and shellfish declines are caused by farming.
- the attacks were prepared by a Seattle lobbying firm Strategies 360, whose Chief Operating Officer is an attorney who used to work for the campaign's managing sponsor, the Swinomish Tribe.
- Most of the content of the campaign came from the false accusations and outdated science widely distributed by Western Environmental Law Center, one of the seven listed sponsors.
- the campaign included a "Call to Action" button and the promise of sending the form response of those clicking the button to elected officials "whose votes we hope to influence."
- The campaign was over-the-top in its graphic viciousness including a video sequence showing a farmer working his field with muddy water flowing into clean and a grotesque closeup video of a dead, spawned out salmon.
- it used stock photos of cows from Amish country to falsely indicate that "unregulated" farms are allowing cows to stand in streams.
What is unconscionable is that this campaign was not only funded by the EPA, but according the Swinomish Chairman, the agency was "intimately involved" in the planning, content and direction. This accusation, potentially very damaging to the EPA leaders involved, is supported by the official reports on the campaign sent to EPA Region 10 and the changes made to the campaign after the reports stated the EPA reviewed and modified the content.
Save Family Farming is the state-wide farm advocacy group standing against this action by EPA and responding to the false accusations and misinformation of the Whatsupstream campaign against farmers. We are accountable to approximately 30 farm leaders from across the state of Washington who serve on our Advisory Board and seven farmers and farm leaders who serve on our Executive Board.
We can't do this alone. Here's how you can help:
1) Register to get updates so you can stay informed of what is being done
2) If you are a member of a farm group or organization, let them know it is important to you that farmers of all kinds across the state support this effort
3) Write, phone or email your elected representatives expressing your concern about this illegal attack on farmers--this website will have updated help including contact information
4) Help support this effort with your contribution. Click as many of the options listed to contribute the amount you want.
Help spread the word about Save Family Farming and what we are doing to help preserve a future for farming
Are you a farmer? Farm supporter? In a farm-related business? Then this attack on farming across Washington state affects you.
Dairy farms may be the primary target today, the laws and regulations pushed by anti-farm activists will affect all farming. Soon, your farm may be targeted as well. Now is the time for family farmers, farm businesses, and farm supporters to stand together against these unjustified attacks.
Here's one simple but powerful thing you can do:
Download this pdf, and send it to everyone one of your contacts.